Chicken Shed Fire
Category : Brigade News
When: 24 March 2011
Type: Shed Fire, caused by electrical fire
- Hastings: Pumper and Tanker
- Tyabb: Tanker 1 and 2
- Bittern: Lighting/Pumper and Tanker
- Somerville: Pumper and Salvage
- Mornington: Pumper
- Frankston: Breathing Apparatus Support
Other Agencies: Power Company, Specialist Baiada Chicken Representative
At least 160,000 chickens were facing a very grim future when their home caught on fire. Hastings Brigade were called out to a shed fire on Carpenters Lane North, Hastings.
From some distance away, smoke was seen issuing from the property. The crew then called for an additional 4 appliances. Upon arrival at the scene, the fire was found in a chicken shed with flames and smoke issuing.
Crews quickly gained control of the fire and it was confined to a small electrical control room. The power was isolated to the area and extinguished before any major damage occurred. Due to having to isolate power to the area, this in turn shut down all the ventilation and water systems for the other chicken sheds creating heat problems.
Fire Crew’s began opening doors to all sheds to cool the chickens down as there was no airflow to the sheds and the chickens were getting extremely hot. Positive Pressure Fans were then requested to cool the chickens down and were set up at the main doors and pushed fresh cool air into the sheds to remove any stress from the chickens.
A representative from Baiada Poultry arrived at the scene who checked the temperature of the sheds and liased with the brigade who continued cooling the area. Farm owners, Mr and Mrs Atkinson, and the Baiada Representative were extremely grateful for the fast actions of the brigade who prevented a major incident from occurring.
Due to the fast acting fire fighters, the best outcome was achieved – the chickens are all safe and well.